The most significant concern people often have about braces is the aesthetic impact of the traditional metal braces on their smiles. Both teens and adults sometimes get a little discouraged at the prospect of wearing unattractive metal brackets and wires for long periods. Invisalign is a virtually invisible aligning system that straightens teeth fast and contains no metal, so you don’t have to feel uncomfortable on those special occasions.
Invisalign uses a series of custom-made trays that are changed every few weeks to fit the new tooth configuration. Not only do the trays reduce visual impact, but they can also be temporarily removed for cleaning and important occasions.
What Bite Problems Can Invisalign correct?
Invisalign in Vancouver, Washington, can correct the exact same dental problems as traditional braces. The only difference is, Invisalign trays are almost invisible and can be removed. Read more here. Read on for some issues that are commonly fixed with Invisalign:
- Overcrowding occurs when there is not enough space for all the teeth to align normally in the mouth. Overcrowding is especially problematic because the overlapping teeth make it difficult to clean appropriately. Overcrowding can also cause tooth decay and increase the chance of gum disease.
- Large gaps can create pockets between your teeth and gums where food can get stuck. It can make your gums tender and sore and even lead to gum disease.
- Crossbite happens when you close your mouth, and some of your upper teeth are sitting inside your lower teeth. Crossbite can lead to uneven wear and possibly bone erosion and gum disease.
- Overbite occurs when your upper front teeth overlap your lower front teeth. Most people have at least a little bit of an overbite. Overbite can cause teeth to wear down and some pain in your jaw.
- An underbite is the opposite of an overbite. When you close your mouth, your lower front teeth jut out in front of your upper teeth. An underbite can make it harder to chew properly and speak clearly, and might cause teeth to wear down more quickly.
What are the Advantages of Invisalign over Traditional Braces?
Both options are great ways to perfect the alignment of your teeth. But there are many considerations to make when deciding which treatment is best for you. These options work excellent in specific situations and should be discussed with Dr. Julia Gourley to see what treatment is best for you. The main advantages are:
- Corrected bite and straighter smile
- Improved comfort over traditional braces
- Natural tooth appearance
- More convenient oral hygiene maintenance
Invisalign differs majorly from traditional braces because the aligning trays are fully removable, making brushing and flossing uncomplicated. There is more discipline and commitment required from the patient. Still, usually, it isn’t a problem because the trays are comfortable to wear. Click here to learn more.
What does Invisalign Treatment Involve?
The first step is to have 3D digital images taken of the entire jaw. These images allow Dr. Julia Gourley to move teeth incrementally on the screen and view the jaw from different angles. This modernized technology foresees how Invisalign trays will change facial aesthetics in the near future.
Once planning is complete, Dr. Julia Gourley will make a unique set of aligners especially for you. Treatment times vary on each case, but the total number of aligners required is usually between 20 and 29 pairs.
What is Life Like with Invisalign?
Living with Invisalign aligning trays may take a bit of time to get used to. Except for eating and drinking, the trays should be worn constantly. When consuming food or drink, removing the trays is crucial as food can get trapped between the aligners and teeth, causing tooth decay.
Be aware that there will still be a bit of soreness for the first few days after each new tray. This light achy feeling is good news as it confirms that your teeth are moving into the desired positions. Be happy that the trays are doing their job, and you’ll have your straight smile soon enough.
New trays, on average, are needed every two weeks. Invisalign has revolutionized orthodontics and is renowned for being both comfortable, practical and easy on the eyes.
If you’re uncomfortable with your smile and want to determine if Invisalign is for you, please contact our office, Pacific Park Family Dental, in Vancouver, WA. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about our treatment plan options. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve a beautiful smile.